Global Warming Faulty Logic
Here in St. Louis, MO it’s cold today. Really cold.
It’s also cold in Washington, D.C. where President Trump tweeted this yesterday:
“In the beautiful Midwest, windchill temperatures are reaching minus 60 degrees, the coldest ever recorded. In coming days, expected to get even colder. People can’t last outside even for minutes. What the hell is going on with Global Waming? Please come back fast, we need you!”
A few minutes later, the federal National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency tweeted, “Winter storms don’t prove that global warming isn’t happening.”
When asked by media about the tweet, NOAA officials insisted they weren’t responding to the President.
Note: I’m not here to judge Donald Trump’s presidency or to referee the climate change debate.
But when someone says…
“It’s really cold today so… global warming ain’t real.”
…I gotta call that out as funky logic.
Funky logic is widespread — not just among politicians (on both sides of the aisle).
I’m neither a political pundit, nor an atmospheric scientist. I’m a marketer. So my concern is with the epidemic of funky logic in my field.
Just this morning, I got this dose:
“I tried a Google Adwords campaign for my business that didn’t work so… search advertising is a waste of money.” That’s funky logic.
I suggested he analyze the variables. Did he target the right people? Was his message well-crafted? Did he test the message.
Turns out his message could use some work. So maybe search marketing will work for him, after all.
More funky marketing logic:
“No one called after I sent my email newsletter so… email marketing doesn’t work.” That’s funky logic.
“Lots of people liked my post so… I’m killing it with social media.” That’s funky logic.
I could write 500 of these. I’ve heard ’em all.
But I’ll spare you that misery and get right to the point…
Beware of funky logic in your marketing. Test your assumptions. Look at the variables. Seek help from experts who can help you analyze results and tweak tactics.
When it comes to marketing tactics and strategy, the future of the planet may not be on the line; but the future of your business certainly is.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...