Capture a Prospect’s Imagination
My friend Richard Terry asked me to help him with some marketing copy. He’d heard one of my presentations recently, and he thought he might benefit from my expertise.
We met earlier today, and here’s what I told him…
…Richard, you don’t need my help.
I was honored he asked. I welcome new business. I came to the meeting with an open mind.
Then he handed me a piece of paper with this…
“Accolade Kitchen and Bath, we improve the value of your home and the quality of your life…by designing and installing functional, spacious and luxurious organized living spaces. Our clients hire us to transform their houses into homes by turning their kitchens into gourmet playgrounds…(and bathrooms) into spa-like retreats.”
I asked him about the journey that led him to this you-don’t-need-my-help marketing copy.
“People ask me, ‘What do you do?’” he explained, “I used to reply, ‘I build kitchens and bathrooms, but…”
I’ll take it from here.
Richard builds kitchens and bathrooms, but that’s not what Richard’s customers are buying.
They’re buying a more elegant valuable house. They’re buying comfort. They’re buying luxury. They’re buying elegant meals with family and friends. They’re buying a dream.
“I build kitchens and bathrooms” doesn’t capture it.
“We improve the value of your home and the quality of your life” does — or, at least begins to.
By the way, Richard also builds closets. But that’s not how he puts it. He says he turns closets into “personal sanctuaries.” And, just in case you’re not tracking with him, he prompts you to “Imagine a peaceful, quiet place for everything:
- a place for your pants, shirts blouses.
- sport coats, suits, ties, belts or scarfs
- and imagine an entire wall, designed just for shoe storage.”
That marketing copy is bound to capture a prospect’s imagination.
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Connect with me on LinkedIn and Facebook and (if not subscribed already) join our email list.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...
Leave a Comment