Why Your Marketing Might be a Cliche
A few months ago, I met with an employment coach who helps unhappy workers find a job to fit their passions and skills.
When they come to her, they’re scared. They’re frustrated. They’re anxious. They’re unfocused. They’re unsure of themselves.
She works with clients to TRANSFORM…
From scared to courageous.
Frustrated to satisfied.
Anxious to calm.
Blurry to focused.
Shaky to confident.
Soon after meeting with that coach, I came across a post on LinkedIn by a guy who hates the word “transform.”
He thinks it’s overused, a meaningless cliche.
“…Everyone says it, no matter how misleading it may be,” he wrote.
I understand where he’s coming from.
Marketers sprinkle “transform” all over their copy. They say our product “will transform your life” or “transform the way you do such-and-such” or “transform your business.”
The problem: Most marketers stop there. They don’t dig deeply enough to understand and describe the transformation their clients experience.
When used without any specificity, “transform” IS meaningless and cliched.
We’re left wondering: Transformed from what to what?
But when marketers describe the journey their prospects will take, they describe a transformation — from frustrated to satisfied, shaky to confident, and so on.
Story-powered marketing is all about discovering and describing the transformation, the journey prospects and clients take from before to after.
If you simply say, “We transform your life,” you’ve said nothing.
If you tell a story that evokes the before-to-after journey, you paint a picture of meaningful transformation — the kind of transformation your prospects wish to experience.
That will captivate them and lead them to say, “Tell me more.” That will inspire them to act.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...