Why Your Beautiful Website Might be a Bust
A few days ago, when I offered website mini-makeovers to the first five people who requested them, I got an email from a subscriber who wanted my help…
…but needed, first, to point out for her site’s “shortcomings.” She wrote:
“My caveat…we are a small organization and pay an independent web designer to do our website. We don’t have the money to pay thousands of dollars for a more wow looking website (with videos, flashing pictures, etc). But if there are simple ideas that are doable by our web guy, I’d love to hear them. Ultimately, I leave it up to him as to what he can change without too much fuss, time or cost.”
Good news for Gail and anyone else who wants a better, client-attracting website:
You do NOT need a more wow-looking website (with video, flashing pictures, etc.) to captivate prospects and inspire them to buy.
You need better copy. You need powerful stories.
And once you have better copy and powerful stories, you can upgrade your web site without too much fuss, time, or cost.
The inter-webs are littered with wow-looking websites that dish out the same old “blah, blah, blah” boring content.
They look great but sell nothing.
Meanwhile, I’ve seen countless websites with great copy and stories that draw prospects in and inspire them to buy.
Marketing master Adam Kreitman wrote a great post about this a few years back: Why This Ugly Website is Kickin’ Butt.
Don’t get me wrong. I appreciate good web design. I’m not suggesting you launch an ugly website.
I am suggesting this, though…
If your website is uglier than you’d like, don’t sweat it — as long as the copy and storytelling work.
If you have a beautiful, wow-looking website with all the bells and whistles, congratulations but…
…beware: Your beauty may be a bust.
The site may look beautiful. But the story it tells may be prospect-repelling, rather than client attracting.
Story power isn’t just about the emails or social posts you create. It’s about your website, too.
You missed the boat for a free mini-makeover for your website.
But if you enroll in the Content Transformation Academy, we can help you with a full-service makeover — and so much more. See p.s. #3 below.
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Connect with me on LinkedIn and Facebook and (if not subscribed already) join our email list.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...