RecomMONDAYtions ~ 2023.11.13
Recommended Podcast Episode
Diana Nyad on Cal Fussman’s Big Questions
In 1978, when she was 28, Diana Nyad attempted to become the first person to swim the 111-mile stretch between Cuba and Key West Florida without a shark cage. She failed.
She tried again and again and again and failed each time.
Then, on her fifth try — when she was 64 (!) — she succeeded.
In this episode of Cal Fussman’s “Big Questions” podcast, she shares stories from her quest.
If you’d like to start at the end of the story, here’s a video of the moment she arrived at Key West after 53 hours in the water.
“Nyad” on Netflix
If Diana Nyad’s true story floats your boat, you’ll enjoy the new biopic on Netflix that retells the story.
Annette Benning plays Nyad. Jodie Foster plays her coach, Bonnie Stoll.
Here’s the trailer:
Podcast (Story Power Marketing Show)
Josh Cunning ham is the founder and CEO of rokrbox – an inside sales company that helps real estate companies turn internet leads into clients. Josh has hired and trained more than 400 inside sales agents. And along the way, he has gained deep experience and knowledge on developing company culture that attracts the best talent and drives success.
His website, Five Star Company Culture helps business leaders foster a positive work environment that empowers employees, satisfies customers, and paves the way for enduring success.
DISCUSSED IN THIS EPISODE
~The Three Keys to Creating a Culture of Success
~Why is Culture so Important for Business Success
~The Most Important Step to Take When Hiring
~Why You Need World-Class Customer Service and How to Build It
This month’s selection for the Mastermind Book Club: “They Ask, You Answer” by Marcus Sheridan.
From the author’s website: “They Ask, You Answer” is a business philosophy which, when embraced fully, will make you the most trusted voice within your industry.
“And it begins with an obsession of understanding the answer to one question: “What is my customer thinking?”
Each month, Ted Prodromou and I select a great book for the Mastermind Book Club to examine. We meet live at the end of the month (this month’s meeting: Thursday, Nov. 30, 2:30 p.m. ET, 11:30 a.m. PT).
The Club is free to join. Go to MastermindBook.Club for more info and to join.
The Science of Influence (with Robert Cialdini)
When: Wed, Nov 15, 12 p.m. ET, 9 a.m. PT
Where: Live online
What: Win with small changes that deliver big results. Robert Cialdini, author of “Influence: Science and Practice” will address a topic that always captivates his audiences: How small changes that deliver BIG results. He’ll reveal:
How McDonald’s increased sales by 20% without any additional costs.
How scarcity led to a 610% increase in sales.
What is known as the ‘5 billion pound’ sentence
Disney’s “Fantasia” Was Initially a Critical and Box-Office Failure
On this day (November 13) in 1940, Disney released “Fantasia.” Prior to its release, Walt Disney said the film would ““change the history of motion pictures.”
And it did. Here’s a great article from “Smithsonian” magazine about the movie. As with so many stories about Walt Disney and the company he built, this one is loaded with valuable business lessons.
Here’s the “Fantasia” trailer. Amazing in 1940. Still great today…
Words to Ponder
“Success is the ability to move from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.”
– Diana Nyad
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...