Why I celebrate opt-outs
Another day, another opt-out.
This morning it was Louise.
Yesterday, Julius quit my list.
Anna on Sunday, Vanessa on Saturday.
And so on.
Once upon a time, I would have mourned each and every opt-out.
Today, I celebrate!
Here’s the story…
Earlier this month, I participated in Virginia Muzquiz’s Six Figure Success Giveaway. I was one of 15 experts sharing a free resource.
All of the experts promoted the giveaway to their lists. Eight-five people downloaded my e-book 9 Secrets to Create Client-Attracting Content.
As soon as they downloaded the e-book, they received a follow-up email from me. I thanked them for downloading the e-book. I shared an additional gift.
And (this is the most important part), I told them what to expect next. I told them I’d be sending week-daily emails.
Louise, Julius, Vanessa, and a few others said, “No thanks,” and unsubscribed.
Meanwhile, more than 75 new subscribers remained on my list. They know what to expect. They chose to stay tuned in. Those are the people I want on my list.
List-building is about quality, not quantity.
It’s easy to build a big list full of people who aren’t really prospects. Example: Have you ever entered a free drawing for something valuable — like an iPad — and then received follow-up emails from the vendor who ran the drawing. That’s quantity-over-quality list-building.
It’s harder to build a list of quality subscribers. I knew I’d attract many excellent subscribers by participating in Virginia’s giveaway.
I also knew the giveaway would attract some people who aren’t great prospects for me. Those people might download the e-book, but they might not be great fits for my business.
So when they opt-out, I don’t mind. I’m pleased.
Speaking of list-building, Dean Isaacs and I are hosting a 5in25 training tomorrow:
5 Ways to Build Your Email List —
Without Paid Ads.
The training is free, but you have to register in advance. Do that here.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...