The Surprisingly Simple Way to Build Your Email List
How can I build my email list?
That was the question I got yesterday from a member of my Content Transformation Academy during our weekly group meeting.
He has transformed his emails from boring to brilliant. Now he wants to share his content with a larger audience and reap the rewards.
He expected more, I think. Maybe some tips about paid lead generation. Maybe a strategy to find prospects on social media.
But I kept it simple. Just ask…
…on your web site, make it easy for visitors to join your list (and, perhaps, signup for a free resource)…
…in your email signature, include a link to join your list…
…at live or virtual networking events, share your opt-in link with people you meet…
…at point-of-sale in your retail establishment, post a QR code link to your sign-up page next to the cash register.
…when you converse with someone (on the phone, via social, or by email), let them know about your email list and why they should join.
That last bit – why they should join – is key.
Most web sites have no signup or the “ask” says something like “Join Our Email List” with no other information.
When you ask someone to join your list, you are selling an opportunity.
Promote the opportunity.
Just as you would when selling a product or service, you must promote the benefits when you “sell” email list membership.
That applies to your website signup form. That applies to your ask when converting with someone via email, social, or on the phone.
What will you send and how often?
What’s in it for them?
How will they benefit from your emails?
And if you really want to power up your ask…
…add testimonials to your signup page.
My email signup page includes 18 testimonials.
Last week, a new subscriber replied to one of my emails with some great feedback.
A few minutes later, with her permission, I posted her praise on my signup page:
“Tom – I love your emails. I didn’t think I wanted daily emails but I actually look forward to yours. I usually unsubscribe from people who send too many. Thinking about this a little deeper, for some people, too many might be only once a month because they are terrible emails that I don’t want to read. You have me thinking a little differently about my marketing. Thank you.”
You don’t need 18 testimonials on your signup page. Start with one. Then add another. And another.
All of the above – YOU can do this.
At worst, you may need help from someone to set up an email signup page on your site.
You don’t need fancy funnel software to do any of this. You don’t need to master Google search. No fancy social media lead-gen strategies here.
Just ask the people you’re already running into.
Do the simple stuff.
Make it a habit.
Once you’ve established the asking habit, once you’re promoting your list properly and consistently, you can try the more advanced stuff.
Whenever you’re ready…here are a few ways we can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you’ll land more clients:
2) Attend our free training: “How to Harness the Magnetic Power of Storytelling…” Discover how to transform marketing from a confusing, resource-draining hassle into something that’s simple, fun AND productive. Details and registration here.
3) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
4) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
5) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
6) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...