How I Developed The Habit of Noticing
When Instagram was new, I opened an account and thought…
I wasn’t into selfies. Instagram marketing wasn’t a thing yet. I didn’t know what to photograph or why.
Then I decided to look for interesting images that surrounded me.
I was at home so I looked for interesting stuff in my house.
I noticed the engraved floral patterns on a radiator and posted a photo of that.
Then I noticed other stuff…
…the kaleidoscope effect in a crystal door knob…
…the artistic jumble of shredded documents…
…the balance beam of an old DetectO-Medic doctor’s scale that my pediatrician grandfather used in his office…
…the stem and cap of a blue glass bottle, reflected in a mirror…
…the gnarly top of a brushed, bronze coat rack that looks like a metallic sea monster.
Stuff in my house.
After a few weeks, I lost interest with Instagram.
But I kept noticing stuff — in my house and elsewhere.
Thanks, Instagram. You made me slow down, step back, look around, and notice.
That habit of noticing stuck.
Sure, I used to notice things before Instagram, but not consistently, not deliberately.
My short Instagram journey reminded me to embrace noticing as a habit, to deliberately slow down, step back, look around, and take it in.
What do I see? What do I hear? What do I smell? What do I feel?
This is not some frivolous, self-indulgent exercise.
The more you notice, the more you connect with the things and people around you.
Powerful storytellers have a habit of noticing. They set their sights on their subjects. They look. They listen. They notice. They ask, “What do I see? What do I hear? What do my subjects feel?”
I’ve said this often: Powerful business stories are not about YOU. They’re about your prospects and clients. They’re about the journey your prospects and clients wish to take.
If you want to craft and deliver powerful stories that reflect your prospects and clients, that are relevant to them, you have to step back and notice — habitually.
That’s what story discovery is all about.
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Connect with me on LinkedIn and Facebook and (if not subscribed already) join our email list.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...