Crazy Stupid LinkedIn Lunacy
I crossed paths with a desperate marketer yesterday who craves more followers for his company’s LinkedIn page.
A competing company recently gained 1,600 followers in 30 days, and Desperate didn’t want his company to fall behind.
So he posted his story to a marketing forum and asked for help.
Then the rotten advice began to flow.
A so-called marketer told Desperate to post an opening on LinkedIn Jobs.
“When people apply, they follow you,” So-Called said.
Another Einstein thought that was a great idea.
He urged Desperate to have coworkers share the job post with their connections. This could add 6,000 followers per month, he said.
That is some crazy, stupid, LinkedIn lunacy.
Before you shrug and say, “Yeah, I would never do that…”
…let’s break down what’s happening here…
…because you may have more in common with Desperate and So-Called than you think.
This is a story about valuing quantity over quality.
Desperate will end up with a large quantity of followers.
But how many of them will be quality prospects?
How many will promote Desperate’s company or be potential joint-venture partners?
So Desperate will celebrate his massive “follower” count…
…but have little or no business growth to show for it.
This happens all the time on social media.
Desperate marketers chasing vanity metrics such as likes, followers, friends, and so forth…
…often using ethically questionable tactics — such as garbage job posts — to do so…
…and then they have nothing to show for it.
Nothing as in zero sales.
Here’s advice I posted for Desperate – which is relevant to anyone marketing on social media:
What’s your strategy to engage your followers and convert them to clients? You might have better success if you focus more on qualifying and converting existing followers and less on elevating your follower count with people who aren’t real prospects… Get your engagement/conversion down before you chase new followers. Then, when you build your following, go for quality (real prospects), not quantity (i.e. job applicants who are not prospects).
This is where storytelling comes in.
When you create captivating, prospect-focused, story-powered content, you attract real prospects.
Those who find your content entertaining and relevant will take notice.
They’ll turn on and tune in.
They’ll follow you.
You may have fewer followers. But they’ll be quality followers.
And that will lead to business growth.
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Connect with me on LinkedIn and Facebook and (if not subscribed already) join our email list.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...