Bob Dylan’s Secret To Create Stand-out Stuff
I rummaged through my attic yesterday to double-check whether I have any classified documents stashed away. (All clear on that front… I think.)
I did find a treasure, though. A vintage Zenith radio that belonged to my dad.
He grew up before TV dominated, when radio was king. His favorite “shows” were on the radio — Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Burns and Allen, The Lux Radio Hour, The Green Hornet, The Shadow, The Lone Ranger.
I picture Dad in his bedroom…
…ear cocked toward the radio…
Bob Dylan grew up in the same era. He, too, loved his radio.
He listened to radio shows late into the night. And all that listening made Dylan a better creator.
Here’s how he described it in a 2015 article in The New Yorker:
“It made me the listener that I am today. It made me listen for little things: the slamming of the door, the jingling of car keys. The wind blowing through trees, the songs of birds, footsteps, a hammer hitting a nail. Just random sounds. Cows mooing. I could string all that together and make that a song. It made me listen to life in a different way.”
“Listen to life
in a different way.”
That’s a good idea.
We live in an anti-imagination, creation-suppressing age.
TV and YouTube paint pictures for us.
The internet diverts our attention and dulls our senses.
Robots ghost-write stories for marketers present the content as their own.
No deep listening, visualizing, or imagining required — unless…
…you want to embrace your humanity and stand out as a creative, entertaining human.
If that IS what you want. If you…
…want want your voice to be heard above the robotic din and…
…wish be noticed, admired, and hired…
…you must listen to life in a different way.
Pay attention to the world around you in a different way.
Communicate and relationship-build with prospects and clients in a different way.
Craft content in a different way…
…a human, story-powered way.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...