Why I Dumped This Rotten Trickster…
I got an email the other day with the subject line that said, “Receipt for P’pal payment…” It came from a marketer named Victory Akpos. I bought software from him last month.
I couldn’t understand why Victory sent a receipt now, weeks after my purchase. I worried that, maybe, I accidentally signed up for something I didn’t want.
So I opened the email and found…
…a screaming, in-my-face pitch for another product.
A receipt? Nope.
This was just a trick to get me to open the email.
So I scrolled to the bottom of this rotten email and opted-out.
You know the old song, “Breaking Up is Hard to Do?”
This was NOT hard. Couldn’t have been easier. Scroll and click. Opt out. Bye bye, Victory. We’re finished!
I don’t like to be tricked — especially when the trick fuels anxiety (as in, “Oh no…Did I accidentally sign up for something I didn’t mean to buy?”).
I don’t trust tricksters — especially those who already connected with me and who already have some of my money.
Trust. It’s a big deal in marketing. Work hard to earn it. Work harder not to squander it.
Some marketers don’t care about that. For them, it’s all about quantity, not quality.
They’re approach: Mislead the masses and upset a few.
“No big deal,” they think, “There are plenty of suckers out there who won’t notice or won’t care. I’ll sell to the suckers.”
You don’t need to market like that.
If you need to trick people to open your email, your content probably wasn’t worth sending in the first place.
You can attract new clients without tricking them.
Provide real value — by creating relevant, informative, entertaining content. I can help you do that (see the p.s.)
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Connect with me on LinkedIn and Facebook and (if not subscribed already) join our email list.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...