Borrowing Email Lists Greitens Etc.
The meeting went off the rails when I asked, “How are you going to build your email list?”
The nonprofit executive director replied, “We’re going to borrow lists from some other nonprofits we partner with.”
“I recommend against that,” I said.
“But we do that all the time with direct (postal) mail,” she said.
I tried to explain the difference between direct mail and email. I tried to explain the difference between SPAM and opt-in email.
But she wasn’t listening. I lost her at “I recommend against that.” She didn’t invite me to meet again.
I was thinking about that meeting yesterday when the news broke about Missouri Governor Eric Greitens. Before running for Governor, he founded and ran a nonprofit called The Mission Continues.
Greitens allegedly “borrowed” the nonprofit’s enormous email list — without permission — and used the list for his political campaign.
I’ll presume the Governor is innocent until proven guilty.
But for the sake of a marketing lesson, let’s imagine that thousands of people who opted-in for email from The Mission Continues received unsolicited emails from the Greitens Campaign.
I don’t know whether the nonprofit with which I met borrowed those lists from partner agencies. But for the sake of a marketing lesson, let’s imagine that the nonprofit sent unsolicited emails to thousands of people who didn’t ask for them.
Most people don’t like to receive unsolicited email. It frustrates and angers them, and it reflects badly on the sender.
Like it or not, that’s more the case with email than with postal mail. Sure, people don’t love getting piles of junk postal mail. But they tend not to hold it against the companies that send it.
More importantly, the United States Postal Service doesn’t have filters to block future deliveries from those who send junk mail.
SPAM filters will flag you and block future deliveries if you send emails to borrowed or purchased lists.
List-building is a quality-over-quantity game. Communicate with people who know you — existing clients, prospects with whom you’re already conversing via email, subscribers who give you permission to contact them.
Your list may be smaller than the one you borrow or buy, but your results will be better.
Here’s a free resource from our site that will help: Nine Proven List-Building Techniques.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...