Top Gun Marketing Tips – How to Pilot Your Business to Soaring Success
“It’s not the plane…It’s the pilot.”
So says Capt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell (Tom Cruise) in the new movie Top Gun: Maverick.
I saw it over the weekend, and I liked it.
That quote about planes and pilots keeps knocking around in my noggin.
Maybe it’s because I’ve seen so many business people get it backwards.
They think business success is all about the plane, not the pilot.
Like dogs hunting squirrels, they chase after the latest, greatest shiny tools and tactics…
…The Zillion-Dollar Funnel System…
…The Sure-Fire Social Media Machine…
…The Magnificent Marketing Automation Motor…
…The Ultra-Amazing Email Engine.
Fine-tuned machinery, ready for marketing combat.
And when they lose the battle, those marketing pilots blame the plane.
“That funnel system didn’t work. I need a more powerful system.”
“That engine broke down. I need a better marketing automation machine.”
“That email software didn’t work. I need better email marketing software.”
And sometimes they blame the entire field of aviation.
“I’ve tried social media marketing. It doesn’t work.”
“Email marketing. Been there. Tried that. Doesn’t work.”
I ran an email marketing company for 19 years. I’ve heard it all.
And every time I heard a business person complain about the plane, I saw a pilot who was not getting the most out of their machine.
I saw a marketer who was dishing out the same old, boring, “blah-blah-blah” content.
I saw prospects tune our and turn away.
I saw those marketing pilots throw their hands up in frustration and then…
…blame the plane.
Then they’d grab their wallet, buy a fancier, more powerful machine, and hope that — this time — their business could soar into the wild blue yonder.
My advice to them and you: Save your money. Quit chasing the latest, greatest, fanciest marketing machines.
You don’t need better email marketing software. You need to write better emails.
You don’t need a fancier funnel system. You need to create more captivating messages.
You don’t need slick social media automation tools. You need to post more entertaining content and focus on building meaningful relationships with friends and followers.
When you’re fighting for your life in a F/A-18 Super Hornet, you can’t rebuild the engine or conduct a mid-air tune-up.
The only thing
you can control is YOU –
how you pilot that plane.
Same goes with marketing.
The machines can only do so much. And you can’t control that.
But you can control how you pilot the machine.
You can control the content you launch.
You can power-up your stories.
I can help you do that. See the p.s. for options.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...