The story-powered Ad That Launched an Eyeglasses Empire
We lost a legend this week — Joe Sugarman, a copywriting great, who taught me (and countless others) tons about marketing.
He wrote many great books, including The Adweek Copywriting Handbook.
I pulled that book from my shelf yesterday and flung it open to the place I dog-eared long ago: Page 178. The section about storytelling.
“People love stories, and one of the really good ways to relate to your prospects is to tell a story. Just as a picture is worth a thousand words, a story can be invaluable and often creates an emotional relationship or bond that keeps prospects riveted and listening.”
One of his most successful and celebrated campaigns was the product launch for BluBlocker sunglasses.
Here’s the ad that started it all. The copy begins: “I am about to tell you a true story…”
In the Copywriting Handbook, Sugarman writes, “That ad for BluBlocker sunglasses launched a multimillion-dollar company that eventually sold 20 million pairs of sunglasses.”
Make that 20 million…and counting.
He wrote the book in 2007. You can still buy BluBlockers today.
By the way, Joe Sugarman was not just another copywriter-for-hire. He founded and owned the company.
Want to discover what makes this ad so sweet AND sprinkle some Sugarman magic into content you create?
Next week, in my weekly session with members of my Story Power VIP Coaching Program, I’m going to dissect the BluBlockers ad and reveal…
9 secrets to write client-attracting, story-powered content the Joe Sugarman way.
These are lessons that anyone can apply today to power-up their stories and create better emails, social posts, websites and more — with less writer’s block.
I have never, ever (not once!) opened a Story Power VIP training session to non-members.
But I’m making an exception to honor Mr. Sugarman and spread his sweet marketing goodness.
If you’d like to sit in on this Sugarman-inspired VIP session, reply to this email and type “Sugarman” in the body of the email. I’ll circle back with the date, time, and the Zoom link.
I’ll record the session, but that recording is only for active VIP members.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...