Monday Mash-Up ~ Vol. 2, Ep. 13
Ken Burns on Earnest Hemingway
If you want to achieve mastery, study the masters. Earnest Hemingway was a master writer and storyteller — first as a journalist and later as a short story writer and novelist. Ken Burns and his partner Lynn Novick are master documentary filmmakers.
Hemingway — a three-part, six-hour documentary by Burns and Novick — premiered on PBS last week. It’s great. My wrist is sore from all my note-taking.Here’s the trailer:
Hemingway on How to Become a Great Writer
Here’s a great article that summarizes advice Hemingway offered a young writer in the 1930s. I especially love this quote from Hemingway about empathy — an idea we emphasize here at Story Power Marketing:
“… get in somebody elseʼs head for a change. As a writer, you should not judge. You should understand…”
More Recommended Reading
Earnest Hemingway on Writing
If you want to dive deeper than the article above, check out this book. It’s one I read every year or two. Hemingway didn’t create this book. It’s a collection of Hemingway’s scattered writings compiled in 1984 by editor Larry W. Phillips.
It’s full of priceless tips for anyone who wants to be a better writer and storyteller.
Natalie Hemby may be the best songwriter you’ve never heard of. And Time-Honored Tradition is the one she wrote that I love best. It’s about home and family and bonds that don’t break.
Here are the first few lines (click here to read all the lyrics and to listen to the song):
I’ve been travelin’ far and wide
Searchin’ for a comfort I could only find
In a kindred town filled with good company
Custom-built like a picket fence
Where the first one you meet is a trusted friend
And loves the alma mater
The glass is never half-empty
Words to Ponder
Clara Barton on Danger, Fear, and Courage
Clara Barton was a nurse during the US Civil War who later founded the American Red Cross. She died on this day in 1912, and she said this:
“I may be compelled to face danger, but never fear it, and while our soldiers can stand and fight, I can stand and feed and nurse them.”
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...