Marketing Lessons From a Lovesick Teenager
When I was a lovesick teenage boy, I listened to one song more than any other: “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” by the Animals.
It usually worked like this: I had a crush on a girl. She didn’t have a crush on me. That made me sad. I’d come home from school, close my bedroom door, put my Animals record on the turntable, and play the song:
Oh, I’m just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don’t let me be misunderstood
Lovesick teenagers long for someone who can understand them. They loathe being misunderstood.
Same goes for your prospects.
If you understand your prospects…
…and if your content shows them that you understand…
…they will appreciate you more. They will tune in to what you’re saying. They will ask to hear more. They will act. They will buy.
I love how marketing expert Dave Dee put it in his great book Sales Stampede:
“People who feel understood by someone have a tendency to trust and like that person. And, if they like you, and they trust you because they know that you truly understand them, then they will be far more open to the solution that you provide to them through your product and service. People buy from people whom they like and trust.”
One of the best ways to show prospects you understand them: Craft stories that reflect their feelings — that reflect the journey they want to take.
I’ll show you how to do that if you attend my free training: “How to Harness the Magnetic Power of Storytelling to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act.” (Details and registration here).
In less than 45 minutes, you’ll learn simple ways to show prospects that you truly understand them so they’ll be far more open to the solution you provide.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...