I Can’t Put This Book Down…
I’m under the weather today 🤒. So I spent the morning in bed, reading a book I can’t put down. It’s called Read This or Die by Ray Edwards, and it’s this month’s selection for the Mastermind Book Club.
I’m feeling better than earlier so I dragged myself out of bed and planned to write an afternoon edition of my week-daily email. I was going to share my take on the book and encourage you to read it.
Then I read the email Ted Prodromou sent this morning. It’s so good I’ve decided to share it with you here and head back to bed with my book. Enjoy…
Subject line: This sales letter saved my life
I bet you’re wondering how a sales letter could save a life.
This is a quote from Ray Edwards’ new book Read This or Die!: Persuading Yourself to a Better Life
In the book, Ray tells a story about a sales letter he wrote to himself after he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s.
The sales letter helped changed Ray’s approach to life after being diagnosed with the fatal disease.
I could also say a sales letter saved my life.
I don’t have a fatal disease but I went through a very rough patch a few years ago.
Here’s a long-story-short version.
I took a few of Ray’s copywriting courses around 2010 and became a big fan of his work.
In 2013, Ray held a three-day conference in Phoenix.
The hook was you would leave the workshop with a completed sales letter.
I thought to myself, “This is just what I need” so I signed up (how many times have you said that to yourself?)
At the workshop, I was going to write a sales letter to promote my new books Ultimate Guide to Twitter for Business and Ultimate Guide to LinkedIn for Business.
In February, Ultimate Guide to LinkedIn for Business was released.
In early March, my position as Online Marketing Manager for a software company was eliminated after they received a venture capital investment and outsourced my job.
A week later my mother passed away.
Talk about the highest of highs to the lowest of lows.
I was down in the dumps and seriously considered bailing on the workshop.
I was in no mood to spend three days in a hotel conference room with hundreds of strangers.
I decided to go with the intention I could leave early if I was too uncomfortable.
Turns out it was the best decision to go.
Ray attracts very compassionate people so I felt very comfortable.
During one of the breaks, I handed Ray signed copies of my books and told him about losing my job and my mother passing.
I started crying.
His eyes teared up and he gave me a huge hug.
Two men sobbing uncontrollably in front of everyone.
It was just what I needed.
Ray has been my close friend since that amazing moment.
So you could say a sales letter saved me too.
This month Read This or Die!: Persuading Yourself to a Better Life is our book in the Mastermind Book Club.
If you don’t have time to read the book, Tom Ruwitch and I are reading it for you.
We’d love to have you join us for the group discussion.
By the way, Ray Edwards will be our very special guest on the group call.
>>> Join the Mastermind Book Club and meet Ray Edwards
Great email, Ted!
I’ll chime in about the book in an email next week.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...