How He Persuaded Himself to Live With Parkinson’s
How’s this for an attention-getting headline…
READ THIS OR DIE
The legendary copywriter Jim Rutz wrote that headline, followed by this copy:
“Today you have a 95 percent chance of eventually dying from a disease or condition for which there is already a known cure somewhere on the planet. The editor of Alternatives would like to free you from that destiny.”
All of the above appeared on the cover of Alternatives, a newsletter sold by Phillips Publishing.
No one knows precisely how many sales Rutz generated with his copy.
His friend Brian Kurtz estimates it generated 100,000+ new subscribers at $39 to $79 each. Probably more than $6 million in subscription revenue — before you factor in sales of products promoted in the newsletter.
Wow! No wonder copywriters consider this copy and the guy who wrote it among the all-time greats.
I’ve been thinking about Jim Rutz and that headline this month as I read Ray Edwards’ new book.
…Read This or Die – Persuading Yourself to a Better Life. Find it here.
The title is no coincidence.
A legendary copywriter himself, Edwards pays homage to Rutz and that headline.
But the book is way more than that.
After being diagnosed with Parkinson’s…
…and nearly dying from it…
…Edwards wrote himself a letter to persuade himself to persevere.
The letter’s first word’s: Read this or die.
Inspired by Rutz and that headline, Edwards summoned the persuasive power of great copy. He was the copywriter and the audience. And his life was at stake.
I love this book.
Like Jim Rutz and his copy, the book is unusual and bold.
It’s about beliefs and resistance and mindset.
Yes, it’s about marketing and copywriting, too.
And it’s this month’s selection for the Mastermind Book Club.
Every month, Ted Prodromou and I choose a book for Club members to read and discuss. You don’t have to read the book to join the conversation.
On the fourth Thursday of the month, we meet live on Zoom to discuss it. And this month, Ray Edwards will join us on the call.
You won’t want to miss this.
There’s no charge to join the Club. But if you have to join to get the invitation and Zoom link for the live meeting.
Click the button below to join. We’ll send emails with the zoom link to members as the meeting approaches.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...