Dude Checks Gas Leak With Match
I ran across an article the other day about a dumb dude in Michigan who smelled gas coming from his newly installed water heater. He checked for the leak by lighting a match.
He shoulda died, but he got off easy…
…with singed eyebrows.
Mixing fire and gas leak — that wasn’t his first mistake.
Installing the gas heater himself — THAT was his first mistake.
Soon after the installation, he smelled that funky odor…
…which really isn’t how gas naturally smells.
The odor is an additive designed to warn people to…you know…NOT light a match.
As soon as that odor hit Dumb Dude’s nose, he had a few options:
Option 1: Call a qualified expert to check for the leak and fix it.
Option 2: Check for the leak himself by choosing tools that won’t result in death and destruction.
Option 3: Check the leak with a match.
Options 1 and 2 have pros and cons.
Option 3? All cons.
A match is simply the wrong tool for the job.
Grab a flashlight.
Then…after realizing that you have no idea why the heater is leaking (and that it’s unsafe for you to attempt a fix), go for option 1 and call an expert.
So it goes with marketing.
I know, you’re not going to set your hair on fire, and you’re certainly not going to blow up, if you misstep while marketing.
But your marketing can backfire if you choose the wrong tools for the job.
For example, email is great for keeping prospects and customers interested and closing sales. But if you send tons of email to people who have never met you (aka SPAM), you can tick people off, generate tons of complaints, damage your brand, and undermine your marketing program. There are better tools to help you make your first connection with leads.
Social media is great for building a following and increasing engagement, but not as great at closing sales.
And just like fixing a water heater, fixing your marketing sometimes is easier and safer if you engage a qualified expert to help you.
Sure, you have to pay the expert. But if you choose the wrong tools or misuse the right ones for your marketing, you waste your precious time (which isn’t free) and you miss opportunities to grow your business.
That’s dangerous for your business. Do it too much, and your business may (figuratively) blow up in your face which could (literally) make your head hurt.
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Connect with me on LinkedIn and Facebook and (if not subscribed already) join our email list.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...
Leave a Comment