Don’t Choose Your Marketing Channel Until You Do This…
Here’s a tale of two marketing tips — one right on, the other off the mark.
It starts with a question posted to an online forum:
How can I generate leads for my graphic design business?
Two people responded.
The first person wrote 272 words…
…loaded with one recommendation after another. Use LinkedIn. Try XING (“for German-speaking countries”). Don’t forget about Facebook. Sprinkle in some SEO. And, “You should definitely consider doing some ads on Google, as well.”
On and on and on it went.
The second person offered a 19-word nugget. I’ll boil it down to five words:
Who is your target market?
I know, that’s not an explicit tip, but it’s the right response.
Here’s the implied tip:
Don’t choose marketing channels
until you identify your target market
and craft powerful stories for that market.
Who are your prospects? Where do they reside? Are they searching for information re: what you sell? What language do they speak? (Bonus tip: If they don’t speak German, don’t advertise on XING).
Marketing is a three-legged stool:
1. Market — Who are you trying to reach?
2. Message — What will you say to your prospects to attract them, keep them tuned in and inspire them to act?
3. Media — What channels will you use to deliver your message to your market?
The media-first crowd (see 272-word tipster above) gets it backwards. They urge you to try this channel or that. They pitch some fancy funnel or magnificent marketing machine.
But they can’t even tell you whether the recommended channel or tactic aligns with your market and message.
Start with two questions:
Who is my ideal prospect (market)?
What are the powerful stories I can deliver to attract and inspire this market?
Then, fire up your campaign on XING — or whatever channels fit.
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...