Lots of Women’s Emails From Nordstrom’s
This is a tale about how to annoy email subscribers and encourage them to opt-out.
I signed up for Nordstrom Rack’s email list last year after I bought a couple of shirts from them.
Men’s shirts (I’m a man).
Since then, I’ve received almost-daily emails from Nordstrom’s. Eighty percent of the emails peddle women’s products.
Intimate apparel: “Enhance your favorite assets.”
Dresses: “Breezy silhouettes that are always in bloom.”
And handbags. So many friggin’ handbags!
Dooney & Bourke handbags two weeks ago. Rebecca Minkoff handbags last week. And Kate Spade handbags yesterday — TWICE.
10 a.m.: The “Online Flash Event” for Kate Spade handbags (“Bring A Little Fun With You Wherever You Go.”).
5 p.m.: “The kate spade new york Event ends soon.”
I’m finished with the breezy, bloomy, asset-enhancing emails. I’ve opted-out.
So what’s this mean for you?
Don’t make the same mistake Nordstrom’s made. Don’t send everything to everybody every time.
If you’re going to send an email that resonates with only a segment of your audience, send it only to that segment.
Nordstrom, should know I’m a man. They can check their sales logs. I buy only men’s products. They can mine third-party data. They’ll see that the guy named “Thomas Ruwitch” with the credit card they have on file, with the address they have on file is, in fact, a man.
So they can put me in the “interested in men’s stuff” bucket. And, please(!), take me out of the “interested in women’s stuff” bucket.
Clients tell me all the time that they’re afraid of sending too many emails.
Too many emails is not the reason people opt-out.
Frequency is not the issue. Irrelevance is the issue.
If you pound the inbox with emails that are not relevant to your subscribers, they’ll stop opening your emails.
Or they’ll opt-out.
Or, worse yet, they’ll click the “this is spam” button even if they originally opted in.
It’s easier than you many think to segment your list and send the right information to the right people at the right time.
Check out the p.s. below and sign up for one of our webinars if you’d like to learn how…
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...