The Secret Reason Marketing Results Tank — And What You Can Do About It
A cautionary tale about TikTok, other social platforms, and online advertising channels.
A marketer posted a cry for help on a public forum last week:
“Engagement on TikTok went down significantly … HELP!”
He used to get 10,000+ views and “lots of engagement” with each TikTok post. All of a sudden, views and engagement plummeted.
“We are lucky to get a couple of hundred views and 10 or so likes!”
His content strategy hasn’t changed. He complies with TikTok policies.
So what gives?
The advice flowed fast and furious.
One guy suggested his content is stale. “Time to take it up a notch.”
Another suggested he should, “experiment with different types of content and see what works.”
And then someone dropped the A-WORD.
“Algorithm changes happen, and it’s not always in your favor.”
Ahhh… the almighty, mysterious algorithm.
Somewhere in the deep, dark depths of TikTok HQ, programmers tap on keyboards to create the algorithm — the rules.
(Same goes for every social media platform online advertising services like Google).
Those rules determine whether your posts or ads rise to the top or sink to the bottom.
Those rules often control whether you get 10,000+ views or “a couple hundred.”
Those rules control whether you’re seen and heard.
With the click of a keyboard, those rules can dramatically change.
And those in control don’t tell you the rules or announce the changes.
The algorithm is a secret.
You discover the algorithm change only when your results tank for no apparent reason.
And there’s little you can do about it because…
…the algorithm is beyond your control.
I prefer to be in control. That’s why I depend most on email to generate sales.
Sure, I use a variety of other channels — including social media and online advertising — to generate leads.
But I don’t rely on those algorithm-powered channels to make the sale.
I drive leads to my email list where I have more control.
Same goes for Kim Garst, a Forbes top 10 Social Media Power Influencer with 23,772 followers on LinkedIn. who says only 3% of her sales come from social media.
Like me, Kim uses social media to “make connections with people.”
Once the connection is made, “I have to move them to my own real estate…”
…a.k.a. her email list.
I’ve been running email campaigns for nearly a quarter-century and results have been consistently great.
I’ve never had results tank the way they so often do on other channels.
Because with email, I’m not at the mercy of algorithms.
Yes, I have to contend with spam filters. And you have to know what you’re doing to maximize deliverability.
But it’s not beyond my control. With some basic knowledge and best-practices that haven’t changed much through the years, you can consistently achieve delivery rates of 99%+.
Results don’t depend on the algorithm-writers. Results depend on you and the quality of the emails you send.
That’s why I’m launching Email Marketing Power soon — so you can create and deliver high-quality, business-building emails — with consistency and ease.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...