The Client-Attracting Power of Radical Empathy
In a recent Monday Mash-Up, I told you about the author Cheryl Strayed and the advice columns she wrote under the pen name “Sugar.”
Her friend and fellow author Steve Almond described Strayed’s Sugar columns as “radical empathy.”
I can’t get that phrase out of my mind.
Powerful business storytelling is all about radical empathy.
Let’s break it down…
Empathy: The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
Radical: Lots of definitions, but in this context, we mean far-reaching and thorough. Beyond the norm.
The best business stories are not about you — the seller. They’re about your prospects and customers — the buyers.
Where are they now? Where do they want to go? What are they feeling?
To discover and deliver powerful client-attracting stories, you have to get this right. You have to know your prospects. You have to empathize.
I’m not talking about scratch-the-surface empathy. I’m talking about deep-dive radical empathy — far-reaching and thorough. Beyond the norm.
Scratch-the-surface empathy will generate the same old stories that sound like all the others. Clichéd. Uninspiring. Ineffective.
Radical empathy will generate stories that captivate prospects…
…Stories that lead them to say, “You understand me. You know what I’m going through.” Stories that put them on the edge of their seats saying, “Tell me more.” Stories that lead them to know like and trust you. Stories that inspire them to act.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...