Paul McCartney Ain’t All That. Let Me Explain…
Fifty-seven years ago today (September 13, 1965), The Beatles released “Yesterday.”
Paul McCartney wrote it, and he says the song came to him in a dream.
Here’s the story from McCartney’s biography Many Years from Now by Barry Miles:
“I woke up with a lovely tune in my head. I thought, ‘That’s great, I wonder what that is?’ There was an upright piano next to me, to the right of the bed by the window. I got out of bed, sat at the piano, found G, found F sharp minor 7th – and that leads you through then to B to E minor, and finally back to E. It all leads forward logically. I liked the melody a lot but because I’d dreamed it I couldn’t believe I’d written it.”
I hate that story.
It makes McCartney seem like a magical being – a creative unicorn who conjured #1 hits from out of nowhere.
He isn’t, and he didn’t.
Yes, Paul McCartney is talented. Yes, he dreamed the melody. Yes, you can call McCartney a genius.
Just don’t call him a born-genius.
McCartney achieved music greatness because he chose to live and breathe music. He chose to put in the work. He chose to develop his talent.
In his book Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell rejects the notion of born-geniuses and “prodigies.”
Those at the top in sports, the arts, and business achieve greatness not because they’re prodigies. They achieve greatness because they put in 10,000+ hours to master their craft.
He cites the Beatles as an example.
Before all the hit records and fame, the Beatles performed regularly in Hamburg. They played more than 1,200 gigs – sometimes 5+ hours a night in Hamburg from 1960 to 1964.
By the time they released their first album, they had 10,000+ hours under their belt.
I love that story.
You don’t have to be a creative unicorn or storytelling prodigy to craft and deliver creative, captivating, client-attracting content.
You can learn how to do it, nurture your talent, and master the craft. You can be a storytelling standout.
And here’s the great news.
It won’t take you 10,000+ hours to get there.
Because, to stand out, you just need to stand above others in your market. And most in your market continue to dish out the same old boring, blah-blah-blah content.
VIP members of the Content Transformation Academy are becoming storytelling standouts.
You can join them.
Shoot me an email if you’d like to learn how it works and if it’s for you.
I’ll reply with a link to schedule a Zoom call with me.
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Connect with me on LinkedIn and Facebook and (if not subscribed already) join our email list.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...