My Mother vs. My Robot (The Cocoa Puffs Cage Fight)
Mommie Dearest My dear, beloved mother FOOD-SHAMED ME.
It happened yesterday, after I sent an email with this opening line: “While sipping my morning coffee and eating my Cocoa Puffs this morning, I asked my GPT-powered robot…”
Mom’s an avid reader of my emails, and she sent a reply with this opening line: “Gee, I’m not sure I would admit to eating Cocoa Puffs.”
Love ya, Ma, but I gotta say it loud and proud:
I’m cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!
Still, maternal criticism has a way of getting under a boy’s skin. It can chip away at rock-solid beliefs and preferences.
So I turned to my faithful companion — the GPT-powered robot “B-9?” — and said:
“My mom says I shouldn’t have admitted to my email list that I eat Cocoa Puffs. Should I be ashamed of my cereal choices?”
Good ol’ “B-9?” replied:
“Your cereal choices, like any other personal preference, are just that—personal. Enjoying Cocoa Puffs or any other kind of cereal is a matter of taste and doesn’t reflect on your character or professionalism.”
And then “B-9?” said something really smart: “
“(This is true) especially in contexts like an email list where you might share personal anecdotes or preferences to create a connection with your audience.It’s common for people to share little personal details like this to make content more relatable and engaging.“
In case you missed the valuable business lesson, I highlighted it for you. (It’s about the little details. They matter.)
My work is done here. I’m off to have a cup of herbal tea and a bowl of All-Bran.
Thanks for reading.
p.s. It’s been dark and rainy and gloomy for almost two weeks around Story Power HQ here in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. All clouds. No sun.
But just a moment ago, I looked outside and watched a glorious sunrise. It was one of those sunrises that turns the clouds in the western sky a gazillion shades of red and pink.
By the time it occurred to me to grab my phone and take a picture, the pink had faded. This picture doesn’t begin to do it justice, but it offers a hint. If you zoom in, you’ll notice a half-moon behind the trees on the left. #allthisusefulbeauty
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...