Monday Mash-Up ~ 2022.05.30
Memorial Day Viewing
Honoring Soldiers on Both Sides of the Battlefield
Every year around this time, I re-watch Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima — a pair of films directed by Clint Eastwood and released in 2006. Both tell the story of the Battle of Iwo Jima — “Flags…” from the perspective of the Americans and “Letters…” from the perspective of the Japanese.
I love these films for many reasons — starting with the fact that they remind us that soldiers fall on both sides of the battlefield. Our “enemies” also are sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, husbands and wives.
Today, as we honor “our” fallen soldiers, we also can honor “theirs.”
Memorial Day – A History of Reflection & Remembrance
Not a word is spoken during this 5:46 video. But plenty is said…
The Remarkable Story of Maya Lin’s Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Maya Lin was an undergraduate at Yale University when she submitted her design for the soon-to-be-built Vietnam memorial in Washington, D.C. Her’s was one of more than 1,400 submissions, and the design earned just a “B” in her architecture course at Yale.
But her design was chosen. Here’s the story of how the monument came to be.
Lessons from the Gettysburg Address
Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address four and a half months after the Union army defeated the Confederacy on the battlefield in southeastern Pennsylvania. Just 271 words, the speech is a masterpiece.
Here’s an article I like from FastCompany that offers 10 lessons on how to deliver a “poised and powerful” presentation.
Why We Remember…
“Sharing tales of those we’ve lost is how we keep from really losing them..”
– Mitch Albom
Whenever you’re ready…here are a few ways we can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you’ll land more clients:
2) Attend our free training: “How to Harness the Magnetic Power of Storytelling…” Discover how to transform marketing from a confusing, resource-draining hassle into something that’s simple, fun AND productive. Details and registration here.
3) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
4) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
5) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
6) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...