How to Captivate an Audience — the Zelensky Way
On March 8, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky appeared on video before the British House of Commons.
He delivered a defiant, confident speech that included these words:
“We will not give up, and we will not lose. We will fight to the end, at sea, in the air, we will continue fighting for our land, whatever the cost. We will fight in the forests, in the fields, on the shores, in the streets.”
Those words echoed one of history’s most famous wartime speeches – delivered more than 80 years ago by British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, also in the House of Commons, at the beginning of World War II.
Of course, Zelensky drew from that speech intentionally.
He said Ukrainians were fighting to save their country ‘just the same way as you once didn’t want to lose your country when Nazis started to fight your country and you had to fight for Britain.”
He said, in effect: My story is your story.
British lawmakers gave him a standing ovation.
Also, last month, Zelensky delivered a speech to the U.S. Congress. He compared Russia’s invasion of Ukraine to the attacks on Pearl Harbor and 9/11.
My story is your story.
In a speech to the Israel’s Knesset, he said Russian President Vladimir Putin plans to exterminate the Ukrainian people. Putin’s “final solution,” Zelensky called it, evoking memories of the Nazi Holocaust.
My story is your story.
Most anyone can deliver a speech. Most anyone can tell a story.
The BEST communicators make their story the audience’s story.
So it goes in wartime diplomacy.
So it goes in marketing.
Stories help us make sense of the world.
Tie the idea you’re presenting to your audience’s experience – to their story – and it makes sense to them.
They can relate.
They feel kinship with you.
They partner with you.
They choose to work with you.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...