How the Marketing Legend Became my “Devoted Student”
A few weeks back, marketing legend Brian Kurtz joined my list, fell in love with my emails, and then shouted so from the rooftops.
First the backstory…
For 34 years, Brian worked for the publisher Boardroom, Inc. (now Bottom Line, Inc.) where he handled all marketing activities – including direct mail, direct response television, e-mail, and other media.
Brian is a mailing list master who is responsible for distributing more than 2 billion pieces of direct mail (yes, billion with a “B”).
And he worked with some of the greatest copywriters ever.
So when he raised his hand to join my list, I was pleased.
But that was nothing.
A few weeks later, during a session of his Titans Xcelerator mastermind, Brian said – out loud, in a zoom room with 50+ people – “I’m loving your daily emails, Tom.”
That was NICE to hear. But wait; there’s more…
Later that day, I emailed Brian and said, “Thanks again for that shout-out! If you can elaborate on ‘loving my daily emails’ for a testimonial, I’d be grateful.”
(There’s a lesson in that. More on that later.)
And Brian obliged. Here’s what he wrote:
“Anyone who says sending daily emails is overkill does not subscribe to Tom Ruwitch’s Story Power. Tom proves that if you have something worth saying — with an engaging style and keeping your story powerful — daily may not even be enough. Tom is a storytelling savant. He is also teaching me (and many others) the most effective ways we can email more frequently with a clear objective. I currently only email twice a week…but I am following his lead by being his devoted student to mail more with conviction. I encourage you to opt in to his online family here… and wake up to a dose of Tom’s power every day.”
The legend is learning from ME?!?
(Cue Tom’s happy dance )
What does this mean for you and your business?
First, when it comes to testimonials, don’t hesitate to ask.
The moment Brian said, “I’m loving your daily emails, Tom,” I thought, “I’m gonna ask him for a testimonial.”
When someone you serve heaps praise on you, ask if you can share it with the world. Don’t hesitate. Ask. Most happy followers will gladly oblige – just as Brian did.
Did you notice how Brian said “…opt in to (Tom’s) online family?”
He chose those words carefully. And those words have BIG meaning.
Brian is all about serving his followers. He treats them like family – whether they’re email list subscribers, prospects for his coaching and mastermind services, or committed clients.
And like a devoted father, brother, or cousin, Brian serves his family. He shows up. He’s present. And he OVER-DELIVERS.
In fact, he wrote a book called Overdeliver and later this month, he’ll host an “Overdeliver Bootcamp.”
I learned a ton from that book. And Brian’s serve-the-family approach continues to inspire me.
So when he referred to my “online family,” I knew I’m doing things the right way – the Brian Kurtz way.
(I guess we’re learning from each other).
Tune in tomorrow when Brian and I discuss how to treat followers like family
Later today, I’ll interview Brian for an episode of my podcast The Story Power Marketing Show.
We’ll discuss why over-delivering is great for your business – and how to do it the Brian Kurtz way.
I usually don’t publish podcasts episodes immediately after I record them.
But I’m making an exception for this episode. Barring unforeseen hiccups, the episode will launch tomorrow. Stay tuned for details and links.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...