I hope you had a joyous Groundhog Day! (It was last Tuesday, in case you missed it).
Truth be told, I can live without the holiday.
But I love the movie.
Weatherman Phil Connor (Bill Murray) wakes each morning in Punxsutawney, PA for a Groundhog Day do-over.
On each of these days, Phil runs into an old high school classmate – Ned Ryerson.
Phil is in no mood to chat. But Ned wants to pitch products.
“Have you ever heard of single-premium life? Because I think that really could be the ticket for you,” Ned says, day after day after day after day…
(Here’s a video clip)
Then on one do-over day, Phil is ready. Before Ned can utter his pitch, Phil levels him with a right hook.
Way to go, Phil!
Like Phil, sometimes I just want to rear back and slug a Ned.
All of us know some Neds. We meet them at networking events. They cold-call us. They lob unsolicited pitches. They tell us they have “the ticket” for us — when they know nothing about us.
But I’m NOT writing this to encourage you to slug someone at your next networking event.
I’m writing this to urge you to look inward.
Deep down, we all have an inner-Ned.
Remember that time you pitched products or services to someone without knowing whether they had a need or desire for what you were selling?
That happened because your inner-Ned escaped.
Smart marketing is about connecting you with the RIGHT people — those who want and need what you’re selling.
If you chase someone who doesn’t want or need what you’re pitching, you’re not selling; you’re annoying.
Keep your inner-Ned in his cage. Gather intelligence about your prospects. Focus on those who need what you’re selling. Pass on those who don’t.
You can do this by employing marketing strategies and tactics — such as tracking who engages with your emails — to identify your real prospects.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...
Leave a Comment