Go Ahead. Swipe Others’ Stuff. Here’s Why…
I came across a cool quote yesterday from Carla Bley.
She was a jazz pianist and composer who passed away earlier this week, Austin Kleon shared her words in his newsletter:
“Listening is how I started. I didn’t start when I was a piano player. I didn’t start as a composer. I started as a listener.”
If you want to master an art or craft, tune into the masters. Listen and watch.
That’s true if you’re a musician and composer. That’s true if you’re a marketer.
In his must-read book “Overdeliver,” Brian Kurtz dives deep on this idea.
He writes: “Every lesson I learned throughout my career at Boardroom, and everything I’ve done since…has been based on original source material from the greatest marketers who ever lived.”
Brian encourages all of us to have a “swipe file.”
Collect great advertisements, marketing pieces, and other examples of mastery. Study them. File them away. Return to them for inspiration. Draw from them when they can help.
“Swipe files are your secret weapon,” he writes, “(They) are one of the most powerful tools in any marketers toolbox. Some people feel like it’s stealing to study and internalize the work of other people, but really it’s just being smart.”
Speaking of “greatest marketers who ever lived…”
…I put Brian Kurtz on that list.
Speaking of “being smart…”
…you’d be smart to sign up for the Mastermind Book Club and join us on Thursday when we discuss “Overdeliver.”
Brian will be in the Zoom room so this will be your chance to hang out with a marketing legend and pick his brain.
Every month, Ted Prodromou and I pick a book for Club members to read.
We meet — usually on the fourth Thursday — to discuss the book. This month’s meeting: Thursday, October 26, 2 p.m. ET.
There’s no charge to join the Club at MastermindBook.club. We email meeting reminders (with the Zoom link) to members.
I recommend the book’s audio version (read by Brian).
If you don’t have time to read the entire book, read the introduction.
You’ll have plenty to chew on for the meeting. You can finish the book (you’ll want to) when you have time.
Many members attend the meetings — and get lots of value — without reading the book.
One last thing…
…if you can’t join us on Oct. 26, join the club anyway. We record the meetings and post them in our online community.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...