I’m not a surgeon. And I don’t play one on TV. But I know this much:
If you’re operating on ONE patient, and THREE people die, you’ve botched the job.
That really happened — to Dr. Robert Liston, who was famous in the 19th century for being the fastest surgeon around.
In those days, before anesthesia, patients sought surgeons who were all about: The faster, the better.
Think about it: You have to lie wide wide awake on a cold slab, no soothing drugs coursing through your veins…
…while a guy in a white smock is slicing you open or sawing off a limb.
I’d be thinking,
So haste was not the real problem with Doc Liston.
Dr. Liston was a show-off. He filled his operating room with spectators. He would burst into the room and say, “Time me, gentlemen.” And then, with a flourish, he would get to it.
One time, he accidentally sliced off a patient’s privates while amputating a leg.
But that was nothing compared to the three-in-one butchery…
While cutting through a patient’s leg, Doc accidentally sliced off his assistant’s fingers.
Then, while changing instruments, he accidentally sliced through a spectator’s coat.
The spectator wasn’t wounded, but he thought he was. He freaked out and died of shock.
The fingerless assistant died from infections.
The patient didn’t make it either.
One patient up, three innocent people down.
If only Doc Liston had focused more on the desired outcome and less on showing off.
So it goes with marketing — especially with social media and other content.
It’s not about you and how important, brilliant or accomplished you are.
It’s about your followers, and how they’ll benefit from interacting with you.
Your content has to educate, entertain and inform your followers. That applies to social media, email, your website or any other content you share.
Too much content is…
…Look at us…
…We’re so special…
…Here’s our great stuff…
…You should buy it…
That stuff is great if you’re out to stroke your ego.
Not so great if you’re out to serve your followers.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...