Why I Should Have Dumped That Rotten Client Sooner…
I fired a client last month.
It felt great.
I should have done it several months ago, but I balked.
This client didn’t return emails, voicemails or texts. Didn’t complete work they promised. Didn’t meet deadlines for work they delivered.
Then, they would pop up out of the blue and bark some command at me, or ask me why I hadn’t delivered something that depended on the work they didn’t deliver in the first place.
This had been going on for months when last November they called and asked for a meeting.
I considered telling them we were finished, but I didn’t. Big contract. Lots of revenue. I figured I could suffer through it a bit longer.
We had that meeting, outlined next steps, and agreed on who was responsible for what.
Then the same old pattern repeated. Unanswered emails, calls, and texts. Missed deadlines. Work not delivered.
Finally, I’d had it. I sent an email telling the client we were through. (Of course, they didn’t respond.)
And where does that leave me?
FREE of a client who mistreated me and was a pain to deal with.
FREE to focus time and energy on more productive activities.
FREE to make more money than I’ve lost by canceling this contract.
AND SLIGHTLY ASHAMED of myself that I didn’t act sooner.
Instead of taking that meeting in November, I should have told him to get lost then. But I was acting needy. I was more focused on the cost of losing that revenue than the benefit of dumping a rotten client.
YOU, not your clients, run your business.
You get to decide how it works.
You set the rules.
You define the boundaries.
And you have to have the courage to say NO. You have to fire rotten clients – even if there’s short-term cost.
When you do that, you run your business.
When you let neediness and fear govern your decisions, your business runs you.
Don't go away yet..
p.s. Coaches, authors, and consultants hire me to power-up their creative content and storytelling to captivate prospects, stand-out and book more business.
Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Get the Story Power Profit Pack -- 52 Strategies, Tips, and Tactics to Transform Your Content from Ignored to Adored.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Twice-monthly live masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...