“One of the greatest jobs of marketing that the universe has ever seen is…”
I came across an old video of Steve Jobs talking about marketing…
…and dishing out high praise for Nike. He said…
“One of the greatest jobs of marketing that the universe has ever seen is Nike.”
And then he explained:
“Nike sells a commodity. They sell shoes. And yet, when you think of Nike, you feel something different than a shoe company. In their ads, as you know, they don’t ever talk about the product. They don’t ever tell you about their air soles and why they’re better than Reebok’s air soles.
What does Nike do in their advertising? They honor great athletes, and they honor great athletics. That’s who they are. That’s what they are about.”
Right on, Steve Jobs!
He knew: Marketing is about understanding your prospect’s identity. It’s about telling stories that reflect your prospect’s journeys from who they are to who they want to be.
Think about all those Nike ads you’ve seen. All those stories about the journey from weak to strong. From chasing to leading. From defeated to victorious.
Like Nike, Apple never talks about the product. They tell stories that reflect their prospects’ journeys.
One of my favorites is an ad for AirPods.
The ad is called “Bounce,” and its a masterpiece. I break it down and distill it’s marketing lessons in a free e-book called:
5 Storytelling Secrets to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Buy
In the e-book, I break down five hall-of-fame ads, including “Bounce.”
You don’t have to be a multinational corporation with Nike- or Apple-size ad budgets to create client-attracting stories.
I’ll show you how — starting with this e-book.
Click the button below to grab a copy…
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
1) Connect with me on LinkedIn and Facebook and (if not subscribed already) join our email list.
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...