Monday Mash-Up 2022.08.14
Speaking with Confidence and Selling with Authority
My friend Jane M. Powers is a public speaking master who knows how to sell from stage. I learn valuable business-building strategies and tactics every time I hear her speak and talk to her.
Here’s a great interview she did with SalesPOP! — a digital magazine that helps sales leaders and entrepreneurs achieve success. This video is loaded with lessons about how to stand out from your competitors.
Recommended Viewing / Listening
How Action, Courage and Breaking the Code Fuel Success
Rusty Gaillard understands the difference between BUSY and PRODUCTIVE.
He’s the former Worldwide Director of Finance at Apple who followed a traditional corporate path to success – from GE under Jack Welch, an MBA at Stanford, to 13 years at Apple.
He left the corporate world in 2019 when his external success no longer felt like personal success.
Rusty now works as an executive coach for tech leaders who want more success without sacrifice.
Rusty is a sought-after speaker and author of the best-selling book “Breaking the Code.”
He lives in Silicon Valley with his wife and 15-yr old son, enjoys playing in the rock band he started this year, and spends as much time as possible outside.
Discussed in this episode:
- The difference between being busy and productive and why it matters.
- How to “break the code” to achieve business success
- Why you have to win the “inner game” if you want to win the game of business
Here’s an excerpt video.
Full episode video and audio: here. You also can find the podcast by searching for “The Story Power Marketing Show” wherever you find your favorite podcast.
A Tool to Help You Cut Out the Big Words and Lingo
“Can you explain a hard idea using only the ten hundred most used words?”
So ask the creators of The Up-Goer Five Text Editor.
It’s a simple web application — just an empty text box.
Type whatever you want in the box. But the moment you type a word that is not among the “ten hundred most used,” the app will send you back to the drawing board with this error message:
“UH OH! YOU HAVE USED A NON-PERMITTED WORD”
It’s hard. And it’s revealing.
Think of some simple idea you want to share. Think of how you want to say it. Then begin typing. Revise your word-choice as the app gives you those “uh-oh’s.”
Then compare your finished product to what you originally intended to write.
Maybe, just maybe, you’ll discover the simpler Up-Goer-inspired version is better than what you intended.
Thanks to the great Ann Handley for telling me about this in her fantastic email newsletter.
For Ladies Who Waited for Elvis…
In 1958, Elvis Presley put his music career on hold and joined the Army.
His fans — especially young “ladies” — were heartbroken.
But for every problem, there is a solution. Enter the “Forever Elvis Fan Club” and its “Ladies in Waiting” medallion.
ARE YOU GOING TO WAIT FOR ELVIS?” asked the headline on the ad for the Club.
If yes, you could pay $1 to join, and you would receive a free “Lady in Waiting” pendant.
“Let’s all remain faithful to Elvis while he’s gone and prove to the adults that we’re not fickle teen-agers,” the ad declared.
I don’t know how many people joined.
I’m not presenting this as some brilliant ad to swipe and copy. I just find it interesting and funny. A great historical relic.
By the way, while stationed in Germany in 1969, Private Elvis Presley fell for 14-year-old Priscilla Ann Wagner. Seven years later, Elvis and Priscilla married.
All the other not-fickle teen-agers were left with nothing but a $1 pendant and a broken heart.
…from a Great American Comic
Will Rogers died on this day (August 15) in 1935. He said this…
It isn’t what we don’t know that gives us trouble. It’s what we know that ain’t so.
p.s. I help coaches, consultants, and business leaders discover and deliver powerful stories that captivate prospects and inspire them to act. Whenever you're ready, here are several ways I can help you become a storytelling stand-out so you'll land more clients without pitching and prodding:
2) Watch the free, 7-minute Micro-Training: “The 3 Most Important Storytelling Keys to Captivate Prospects and Inspire Them to Act -- Without Pitching and Prodding.”
3) Become a Story Power VIP in the Content Transformation Academy: Master how to discover, assemble, and deliver business-building stories. Weekly masterclasses. Members-only content. One-on-one feedback and consulting sessions. And more… If you'd like to learn more about our VIP program, just reply to this email and put "Story Power VIP" in the subject line. I’ll contact you with more details.
4) Work with me one-on-one: If you’re interested in working directly with me -- to discover, assemble, and deliver powerful, business-building stories -- simply reply to this email and change the subject line to "Private Client." Tell me a little about yourself, your business, and what you'd like to accomplish, and I'll reply to discuss options.
5) Invite me to speak at an event: I can tailor a presentation that meets the specific needs of your organization. Informative. Entertaining. Virtual or live. Potential for continuing education credits when applicable for your group. If interested, reply to this email and change the subject line to “Speaking Engagement.” I’ll circle back to discuss the possibilities.
Want to get great content like this...
...delivered straight to your inbox?
Join our email list...